Skip to main content

My 'my-child-is-a-genius' moment

So, a few days ago, you and I were sitting together - I read, while you scribbled with assorted crayons and sketch pens on your drawing pad. (Also, I looked up every few minutes to make sure you weren't eating any of the crayons. Of course, I had to fish out a few chewed pieces!)

You must've called me to see something, and I casually asked you to draw a circle, as I often do. And you moved your pen in a circular, oval-ish shape, as you often do. Then, I asked you to draw a triangle - not expecting that you actually would - or even could - draw one!



A month ago, you wrote '3' when I asked you to. In the photo on this post, the 3 in yellow is yours, and I wrote the one in red after you'd written it first. I knew then that you knew counting till 5, and could also tell me accurately how many things (up to 5) of one kind there were in front of you. But, you really took me by surprise by writing the digit on just my casually asking you to.


Day before yesterday, we were driving to Gurgaon, and you were in your Naani's lap in the back seat. She asked you to write various numbers on the foggy windows, and you wrote them all. Only, you wrote '6' the other way round, with the circle facing left.

A day before that you opened Daadi's iPhone, and navigated to the calculator. I randomly asked you were 5 was, and you pointed to the correct digit. I kept asking you to point out numbers in random order, up to 9, and you got them all right! You only hesitated on '8', and I asked you to remember the number we press the button for in our lift, and you remembered, correctly.

You amaze me so much, baby. We're still a week and a half away from your second birthday, and you already know SO MUCH!

I've been reading about home-schooling, and like the idea of it. But I have doubts about it being the right thing for you.

Ah, well - we'll figure it out by the time we have to. In the meantime, I shall continue to be amazed at your little brain.


Love,
Mom

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Doo-Boo

She knows how to count! At nineteen months, she shocked me by pointing to two butterflies I'd drawn on her etch-a-sketch, and lifting up two pudgy fingers. Now, at 21 months, the lifting of the two fingers is accompanied by a loud, " dooo " - a combination of ' two ' and the Hindi word for it, ' do '. Although she knows what fingers one to five represent while counting, her favourite remains two, and as a result, anything she counts adds up to " dooo ". She also knows all the main colours - red ( aed ), blue ( booo ), yellow ( ell ), black ( wack ), white ( aaeet ), green ( geee ), purple, orange (indecipherable sounds, but they always remain the same for purple and for orange). She points to the right colour always, when you ask her a question like, "where's red?" She'll even look around the room and point out the first red thing she sees. But, if you point to a red object, and ask what colour it is, her favourite go-to o

The home that we built

I lie in bed at night and read. I block out the news and the noisy world when I read. I also munch on something spicy or salty or sour when I read. I read fiction, mostly. He plays games on his phone. He watches news and interviews, and gets into long discussions on Facebook chains. If he gets hungry late at night, he eats a sandwich, sometimes with jam. He used to read, now doesn't. And that's one of my life's biggest aims -- to get him to start reading again! And, don't even get me started on mindless games on the phone! (Yes, fine, they aren't mindless, they need strategy and smarts, yada yada yada...) Our reactions to situations differ. I'm great in a crisis, he stresses out. I can be outwardly calm even under stress, he looks as frazzled as his mind feels. I'm judgemental, logical, impatient. He's great with people, both, at reading them and making them comfortable. He doesn't judge, and he has much, much more patience. He spends too

Dear Anaaira...

It's almost exactly 8 months today since the day you came home. And we had to wait almost exactly 9 months before we found you. That's two human gestation cycles to get the baby born in our hearts. We're in the city of your birth again, and we signed the court order that's now made you ours forever and ever! Your Naani says, and she's absolutely right (as usual), that we were all already yours, and today you've become ours too. I love that the one sentence you speak clearly is where you very emphatically declare, "It's mine!" Once, you also said - "That's also mine!" And, my favourite, when I ask you whose Mama I am, you say "Maaa-INE!" How do I tell you how much I love you, my baby? Today was such an anticlimactic day once the court order was signed. You've been exhausted and cranky all day, and we've all been the same, really! But, while you and Naani were sleeping, your Dada and I had another drink together, a