Skip to main content

22 months


Her great loves at 22 months:
Dogs -- all dogs, but especially loves Brandy and Muffin, and has separate relationships with each of them, changing her behaviour according to their personalities
Cats, cows, birds, all animals, actually -- I can't wait to show her an elephant and make her sit on a horse
Books -- loves her picture books, and has already 'read' about 55 books in the last 7 months
Playing with water, watering the plants
The phone [insert eye roll] and watching nursery rhyme videos on it
Meeting new people
Going out with us and having new experiences
Loves playing with other children, especially Semara
Met Mahi last weekend, and asked to let us carry her around like all the adults were; when I made Mahi sit in her lap, touched her so gently and then kissed her without being asked to
Loves her Naani the most-est! Instantly cheers up when doing a video call with her, but also talks to everyone in the family on video, and loves it.

Words she can say:
Hi
Ba-bye
Ta-ta
Mama
Dada
Nana
Eye
Knee
Dirty
Du-du (milk)
Blue
Red
Yellow
Purple
Eating
Dal
Rice
Owl

Colours she can recognise:
Blue
Red
Yellow
Green
Purple
Pink
Orange
Black
White

Shapes she can recognise:
Circle
Oval
Square
Rectangle
Triangle
Star
Heart

Other skills:

  • Can count up to 5 objects and show the right number of fingers on one hand
  • Can recognise multiple animals, vehicles, fruits and vegetables, activities
  • Can make animal sounds for dog, cat, lion, bear, snake, bee, sheep, horse, goat, bird
  • Knows many rhymes, and can do actions while you say them out loud -- favourites are Pat-a-cake, Twinkle Twinkle, Ba-ba Black Sheep, and Humpty Dumpty.
  • Can put on her pajamas by herself, and just needs help pulling them up from the back
  • Can eat with a toddler spoon and fork
  • Can use a magnetic fishing rod in the bath-tub and 'catch' magnetic fish
  • Loves books, and has recently started looking through books on her own
  • Brings me books to read to her after she has decided which one she wants to read
  • Says hi to everyone she meets, and bye too -- is often surprised when adults don't reciprocate
  • Understands social behaviour when eating out of the house, and though she'll upturn her plate often at home, hardly ever does it when we're outside
  • Is beginning to understand restaurant eating, and tries different food when eating at one, even though she may not try the same things at home
  • Has recently started talking non-stop gibberish, where one can make out one or two intelligible words too
  • Understands a 'circle' enough to try to draw it, and drawing is becoming more confident; doesn't yet understand the concept of filling a shape with colour
  • Understands the basics of pooping and peeing in the pot, and gets excited and claps when she does it; also picks up the removable bowl of her little pot and takes it to the big pot in our bathroom to empty and wash; also wants to go throw her diaper into the dustbin on her own
  • Has understood the concept of choice right from when she was about 17 months old -- knows which books she wants you to read to her, which song she wants you to sing her to sleep with, knows whether she is too keyed up and can't fall asleep on her own, and thus, will need you to talk her to sleep, or whether just lying down with her and patting her to sleep will be enough -- chooses what she wants and sticks with her decision, unless changing her mind is part of fighting sleep :)
  • While doing a video call, knows which way to turn the phone to show the other person what she wants them to see on the front camera -- her books, one of the dogs, any other object in the room


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Six months

How do I even begin to write this post? I've now written and deleted the opening sentence eight times, and none of them seem to be saying what I want to say! Six months ago, as the day dawned on the 26th of March, at around 5:30 AM, I was getting ready to go to a hospital in Trivandrum, and then on to the airport to catch a flight to Delhi, and take our baby home. I'd been up most of the previous night, with a 14-month old with a congested chest who wheezed with discomfort if I tried to lay her down on the bed. So, I sat up against the headboard of the hotel bed, and hummed under my breath each time she moved. Earlier that night, we had been at the hospital to nebulise her. After almost 3 hours and 5 bouts of nebulisation, the doctors had brought out a form for us me to sign if we wanted to take her home against their advice of admitting her. She was active, playful, and naughty; the nebulisation had made her breathing much easier, and we'd started her off on oral ...

Serendipitous

What a beautiful rainy day it is! The soft constant hush of the falling rain, the heady smell of geeli mitti (hate the sound of ' petrichor '!), and my baby sleeping next to me. Fulfillment came with such serendipity that it blew me away with its sudden whoosh -ness. This blog is to remember the wonderfully serendipitous things that are slowly slipping out of my mind, lulled as it is by happiness and peace.

The home that we built

I lie in bed at night and read. I block out the news and the noisy world when I read. I also munch on something spicy or salty or sour when I read. I read fiction, mostly. He plays games on his phone. He watches news and interviews, and gets into long discussions on Facebook chains. If he gets hungry late at night, he eats a sandwich, sometimes with jam. He used to read, now doesn't. And that's one of my life's biggest aims -- to get him to start reading again! And, don't even get me started on mindless games on the phone! (Yes, fine, they aren't mindless, they need strategy and smarts, yada yada yada...) Our reactions to situations differ. I'm great in a crisis, he stresses out. I can be outwardly calm even under stress, he looks as frazzled as his mind feels. I'm judgemental, logical, impatient. He's great with people, both, at reading them and making them comfortable. He doesn't judge, and he has much, much more patience. He spends too ...