Skip to main content

Love

There's something about your baby being unwell that shocks you with how you feel.
This morning you vomited thrice, and I know it was just acidity, probably because you've been on antibiotics for a chest infection and fever, and now you're sleeping in, as I sit next to you and type this. After the third time, I had vomit running down the inside of my night-shirt, and woke up your Dad to keep an eye on you as you slept, while I went to wash up and change my clothes - when suddenly, a tiny hand snaked out from under the covers, held mine tightly, and you said, "Mama", and pulled me close. Needless to say, I didn't go wash up until you were safely fast asleep, and would've gladly sat next to you for hours if you wanted me to.
I know it's nothing, but seeing you surprise yourself as you get sick, just breaks my heart.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Six months

How do I even begin to write this post? I've now written and deleted the opening sentence eight times, and none of them seem to be saying what I want to say! Six months ago, as the day dawned on the 26th of March, at around 5:30 AM, I was getting ready to go to a hospital in Trivandrum, and then on to the airport to catch a flight to Delhi, and take our baby home. I'd been up most of the previous night, with a 14-month old with a congested chest who wheezed with discomfort if I tried to lay her down on the bed. So, I sat up against the headboard of the hotel bed, and hummed under my breath each time she moved. Earlier that night, we had been at the hospital to nebulise her. After almost 3 hours and 5 bouts of nebulisation, the doctors had brought out a form for us me to sign if we wanted to take her home against their advice of admitting her. She was active, playful, and naughty; the nebulisation had made her breathing much easier, and we'd started her off on oral ...

Serendipitous

What a beautiful rainy day it is! The soft constant hush of the falling rain, the heady smell of geeli mitti (hate the sound of ' petrichor '!), and my baby sleeping next to me. Fulfillment came with such serendipity that it blew me away with its sudden whoosh -ness. This blog is to remember the wonderfully serendipitous things that are slowly slipping out of my mind, lulled as it is by happiness and peace.

She knows love

One of my favourite parts of the day is waking up a few minutes before my baby does, and waiting for her to open her eyes. She looks at me, and rolls, sometimes crawls, towards me - sometimes with a sleepy smile, sometimes with a demanding grim expression on her peanut face - to be held close and kissed good morning. We cuddle for 5 minutes before she finally sees the dog, and remembers the very important lick she must give Muffin. After falling all over Muffin trying to hug her, she then turns to my left, and in her loud imperious voice, shouts "Da-daaaa", while shaking G awake. Of course, the shaking is pointless, because this man who has wanted multiples of "just 5 minutes more" every morning for the last ten years , is now wide awake the very first time his daughter calls out to him. Though, to be fair, the insistent, loud voice, with a tone of such ownership does demand instant attention. But those five minutes of holding her are just... sigh. What makes ...